Thursday, November 15, 2012

Christmas Tree Card

Today I want to share a card I made with the Old Glory Bigz die. Maybe you wouldn't think to use this die for Christmas but I think it's important to get lots of milage from the dies you purchase. 

 Here are the cards I made earlier this year with the Old Glory Bigz die. You can see my blog post here for the step by step instructions. 

Using the Holiday Words Texture Fade emboss a piece of Manilla card stock that is 4" x 5 1/4". 

Ink the raised area with Vintage Photo and Festive Berries Distress ink on an Ink Blending Tool. 

 Die cut four rows of stars from green Kraft'Core card stock using the Old Glory Bigz die. Keep the stars in the strips and carefully sand the rows to distress. Use the Mini Old Glory Movers and Shapers die to die cut a red and brown Star using Kraft'Core as well. (You could use the Old Glory Bigz die if you don't have both dies) Sand the red and brown star too. 

 Cut the green stars in rows. 5 stars in a row, then 4 stars, 3 stars and finally 2 stars. The red star is for the top of the tree and the brown star is for the trunk of the tree. Ink the edges of all the stars using an Ink Blending tool with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

My base card is the darker red Kraft'Core card stock that has been cut to 4 1/4" x 11" and folded in half. Sand the edges of the card and ink with Vintage Photo Distress ink on an Ink Blending tool. Adhere the embossed background to the card. Start at the bottom and pop dot the brown star to the center of the card. Work your way up pop dotting all the star to the card. 

For the finishing touch add a little red and white stripe paper Twine bow to the trunk of the tree. 

See your dies in a new light, think outside the box and multi purpose those dies. This die that has stars and could be used for so many things not just the 4th of July. Think about a card to a Veteran, maybe a baby card, a birthday card. These stars can be so versatile, the sky is the limit! 

Thanks for stopping by!
Richele

If you need supplies check out Inspiration Emporium for all your needs!!

13 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Love the Holiday Words texture fade - I hadn't seen that before, and now I really want to add it to my wishlist! Great card... thanks for the how-to details!
Alison x

Colorado Crafter said...

Your cards are wonderful! As much as I look at Sizzix products online and in the stores I can't believe I've never seen those dies. Can't say there's much to feel patriotic about these days. I used to love doing July 4th cards as well as cards for other patriotic holidays. I'll add these dies to my wish list in case the feeling comes back.

Ruby Craft said...

I will admit that looking at the Old Glory die would not have inspired me with thoughts of Christmas. I think I need to take a second look at some of my dies. Your Christmas tree card is wonderful. The tree of stars is very festive and I love the added texture of the embossed background. Your 4th of July cards remind me how glad I am to be an American, any time of year. Glad I saw you on the Ranger blog today!

Marilyn Nimmo said...

LOVE this. A friend just gave me the old glory die...now I have a new way to use it!

Rosetta Savage-Jenkins said...

Richele: This card is magnificent!!!! That's why you are one of my favorites. Have a very Merry Christmas! May you and your family enjoy peace, prosperity, love and joy in the new year!

Rosetta Savage-Jenkins said...

Richele: This card is magnificent!!!! That's why you are one of my favorites. Have a very Merry Christmas! May you and your family enjoy peace, prosperity, love and joy in the new year!

Jan Castle said...

Nicely done!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Gabby said...

Saw you on Tim's blog today! Nice star tree ... great way to get more "mileage" from your die. Also like your patriotic cards. :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love! Every bit is a love!

Trish said...

I love seeing out of the ordinary ways to use our dies and this one is great! Well done

dvcrztb said...

Great use of a die in another way of thinking. This would make a perfect holiday card for someone in the service of our country. Thanks for the idea.

Lisa said...

Wonderful work. Love the layouts and how you used those stars!!!
Hugs,
Lisa
Cre8n4u

Stamped Impressions said...

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing!!