Monday, May 18, 2020

Yuletide Snowflake Pillow

Hello friends! Every year I add to my collection of holiday pillows so I decided to make one using the new FreeSpirit Yuletide fabrics designed by Tim Holtz. I'm smitten over this new Yuletide collection and I know you will be too. 


I'm in love with the simplicity of this pattern but you need to know I'm also a sucker for snowflakes! 

I found this wonderful pattern for a snowflake block by Amy Friend at During Quite Time. Amy's pattern has 3 different size snowflakes I used the 12" for my pillow. The pattern is paper pieced and easy to follow. It had been a long time since I had used this method so I hopped on line and watched a video. Easy peasy! 

I pieced all the sections following the numbers on the pattern. 

Once the sections were all pieced I sewed them together to create the snowflake.  I added a 2 1/4" strip all the way around the snowflake to accommodate my 16" pillow form. Tip: I like to size my block down about 1" for a snug fit. 

Next I created my own pipping with cording and a strip of fabric to go around the pillow. 

Sew the piping to the pillow front.

Create the pillow as desired. I used an overlapping back that you can insert the pillow through. You could also sew in a zipper.

 Insert the pillow and you have a beautiful pillow ready for the holidays. 

The FreeSpirit Yuletide fabrics by Tim Holtz will be available soon. Ask your local quilt shop when it will arrive. Click here if you'd like see the full line of Tim Holtz fabrics. 

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Richele